Under general supervision by the Medical Director, Histology Supervisor and/or the Lead Histotechnologist, the Histotech performs Moderate Complexity testing: specimen processing, embedding, microtomy of all tissue types: surgical, biopsies, cell blocks.
Location: Mountain View, CA Availability: Full-time, evening shift
Duties also include:
• Completion of quality control records, maintenance of supplies and reagents and performance of general preventive maintenance on laboratory equipment.
• Set up H&E and stain manually when needed.
• Cut Control slides
• Perform automated H/E stainer.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Tissue processing: Accurately and dependably operates tissue processors according to proper schedules.
• Embedding: Properly orients tissue into accurate mold in an acceptable time frame.
• Microtomy: Prepares slides for microscopic examination and analysis for final diagnosis by the pathologist, while ensuring proper protocol is followed.
• Staining: Processes all stains in a timely and accurate manner. Ability to recognize staining problems, perform various automated staining (i.e. H&E, immunohistochemistry, and special stains)
• Prepares tissue specimens for pathologist to obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of disease
• Maintains cleanliness of work area.
• Minimum of embedding and cutting of 100 blocks at an 8 hour shift while maintaining high quality slides and conserves tissues.
• Performs chemical hazardous waste disposal according to current operating policies and procedures in line with regulatory guidelines.
• Clarifies, reports, and documents quality issues, including (but not limited to), inadequate grossing, incorrect tissue handling protocols, tissue block discordance, or other concerns regarding handling of a specimen.
• High School Diploma required; Associates degree in Biology/Chemistry preferred.
• Two (2) year experience in embedding and microtomy in a high volume acute care hospital histology laboratory within the last 5 years
• Ability to multi-task
• Must have the ability to perform in a high volume laboratory.